Desenho Computacional, Fabricação Digital, CAD/CAM, Inovação Formal; Inovação Material; Personalização | Computational Design; Digital Fabrication; CAD/CAM; Formal Innovation, Material Innovation; Customization
In the last decade, the integrated use of Computational Design and Digital Fabrication technologies has expanded the possibilities for design conception and materialization. Hosted by CEAU/FAUP, the Digital Fabrication Laboratory (DFL) is a research group committed with investigating the impact of these set of digital technologies in the design field.
The DFL’s Research Agenda encompasses two complementary avenues:
- Design and Material Innovation: investigating new design and material possibilities and rethinking traditional ones;
- Fabrication Technology Innovation: devising new fabrication methods, techniques, devices and machines.
In doing so, the DFL’s Competences are focused in:
- Computational Design – parametric and algorithmic design + computational design thinking;
- Digital Fabrication – additive, subtractive and formative fabrication + robotics.
In this scope, the DFL’s Mission is committed with:
- delivery digital strategies to embrace design and material complexity, variability, customization, efficiency and sustainability;
- investing in the evolution of the DFL internal know-how, skills and facilities;
- stimulating interdisciplinary teamwork and cross-collaboration with other CEAU and UP research groups;
- building specific educational courses on DF and support its spread across the school’s curriculum and other extension activities;
- hosting and supporting the development of Post-Doc, PhD and Master level research works on DF;
- promoting the access to DF technologies at FAUP and UP;
- engaging with the national building construction industry through partnerships, applied research and technology transfer;
- divulging DF through the organization of workshops, conferences, exhibitions or publications;
- acting, demonstrating and presenting the work at the international level.
With these premises, the DFL’s Goal aims at becoming a reference Research Laboratory in the field. Through its scientific production, technology innovation, intellectual property and research funding, the DFL wants to contribute for the local and global projection of CEAU/FAUP.
Research projects funding:
- “Robotic technology for non-standard design and construction in architecture”, FCT, 199.961,00€ (2013-15)
- “Robotic construction in architecture”, UP, 3.500,00€ (2013)
Industrial research contract:
- “MD Fachadas e MD Coberturas – Cork panels for sustainable and customized facades and roof”, QREN, R&D Projects, with AMORIM Isolamentos, ITeCons and Weber – Companies in co-promotion, 41.184,88€ (budget of the DFL participation)
- organization of the CEAAD - Advanced Studies Program in Architecture and Digital Technologies, a joint initiative with between FAUP and ISCTE/IUL, which 1st edition started in 2012/13;
- building of the Constructive Geometry Pavilion 2012, a 1:1 scale installation at FAUP that was divulged internationally.
- organization of the 1st eCAADe Regional International Workshop - “Future Traditions” at FAUP, 4-5 April 2013;
LINK PARA PÁGINA DO GRUPO
PI & RESEARCHERS IN THE GROUP(PhD. Only)
SOUSA, José Pedro Ovelheiro Marques
XAVIER, João Pedro Sampaio
FERNANDES PÓVOAS, Rui Humberto Costa de
OTHER RESEARCHERS IN THE GROUP (Non PhD)
CARVALHO, Pedro Filipe Martins
VARELA, Pedro Augusto de Azambuja